I’ve always loved maps, and when google maps came out they raised the bar. After they released their maps API and the mashups began. The first cool one I remember was a craigslist mashup that listed all apartments for rent on a map – that’s huge when you’re new to a city, and invaluable in renting-competitive cities like NY and SF. Now there are tons of mashups out there, and here’s a few that I’ve found recently.
Random mashups (coolest ones first)
- Craigslist Housing/Rentals Maps – awesome new padmapper.com (iphone) plus mapskreig.com and original housingmaps.com (stale data) (compete)
- Wikimapia.org (10+ Million entries) like wikipedia, but for maps. See My Seward St Slides entry.
- Fastfoodmaps.com shows fast food joints, updates map when you zoom in/out,
- Walkjogrun.net shows good search bar, nice overlays when looking at a route.
- Taxiwiz.com calculates taxi fares between points in major cities. I like how they add points in google maps
- tmeet.me auto-fill a tweet with current time & coordinates
- SeeClickFix identify local issues (pot hole, sign broken), submit, and watch for fix ..
- Dualmaps combines bird’s eye view with street view and maps
- Pizzashare maps meets pizza meets crowdsourcing (seems buggy, but cool idea)
- Beerhunter.ca find places to get beer in Toronto – right now!
- Diaroogle.com find a clean toilet in NYC
- chicago crimes. lots of interesting data from everyblock, including homegrown maps.
- findbyclick – change maps, results not updated, data is 2007, blog seems current
- Performance/Scaling – spacial databox – great if you have millions of data points
- Weddingmapper.com – (130K) great UI for novice (ex)
- Platial.com (120k) slick UI, tons of features, not all work (ex, ex2) (faq) iphone (blog)
- Frappr.com (100k) similar to platial.com, more like myspace for maps
- Communitywalk.com (100k) lots of users/examples, issues on firefox 3 (comments at bottom)
- Zeemaps.com (40k) pretty cool (chicago, sf parks)
- YourGmap.com (20k) easiest setup, good for people who’ve never used google maps (ex)
- Mapbuilder.net (20k) easy setup, can control html for each marker (img, links) (ex)
- Tagzania.com (20k) too much non-map stuff on the page
- Wayfaring.com (15k) clean and slick UI, little data (copyright 2007) (ex)
- My Atlas – clean, but not easy for novices (ex)
Find more maps (reference)
What’s your favorite map?